Friday, February 10, 2012

The Event

Matt had to work 12 hour night shifts last week because of some possible drama at the plant. He is usually a "straight days" kind of guy so, being the night owl that I am (or was), I was looking forward to some quality time with Netflix. I don't watch much TV and the only show I follow is typically viewed online weeks later but I found a series that I vaguely remembered being interesting when I had seen the commercials, so I started it. I had at least several nights to occupy so the fact that there were 22 episodes didn't stop me.

It was called The Event. Pretty intense, suspenseful in a TV sort of way, you never really knew who the good guys and bad guys were, and someone was ALWAYS running for their life. Probably not a good idea to watch while at home alone because my bad dreams always always involve someone chasing me, trying to kill me. Turns out it was about the eminent takeover by an alien race, because that dead horse hasn't been beaten enough.

One night when I finally decided to go to bed I made my rounds, turning off lights, locking doors, setting the alarm, etc. I fell asleep around 3:00 and Matt would be home in less than 3 hours.

A seemingly short while later I was startled awake, not by a baby crying, but by my phone buzzing like mad and loud yelling in my living room. You know how in scary movies the people always go towards creepy danger instead of away from it and you think, "Moron, you deserve to die if you go willingly down into that dark basement."

Well, sure enough, I ran down the hall and into the living room to find my security system siren going with a woman frantically asking, "Mr. Ruggles is everything okay?" and the back door dead bolt latch thing being slammed as someone was trying to break into my house.

I almost had a heart attack.

It was Matt. I forgot to leave one of the inside latches open so he could get in when he came home! He set the alarm off by opening the garage door and only had a minute to get inside to the panel to disarm it. When he couldn't get into the house, he tried calling me and then the security people started calling him. He had his face stuck through the 2 inch opening in the back door, yelling to the operator talking through the panel inside. It's hilarious to think about now but I was seriously freaked out at the time.

I guess it serves me right for watching that stupid show and staying up wayyy later than I should have. Good to know the alarm works!

1 comment:

Jonathan and Sarah said...

this story makes me smile so much!!! it would have totally freaked me out too-- but its fun to laugh at!