Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 3

Today, Nov. 3rd, I'm thankful for old friends.

Not that age has anything to do with it. Today is my friend Melissa's birthday.  We became best friends in first grade and have been through the best of times and the worst of times since then. People used to mistake us for sisters, a fact I still love since all I had were brothers to resemble. Do you know how fun it is to be told you look like your brothers? They're good-looking and all but what girl wants to look like a boy?! Anyway... whatev.

There's just something special about having someone who's known you pretty much as long as you've known yourself. There's no faking, no fronts. It keeps you honest. Real. Humble.

She's not the only one. There have been others along the way that I share history with. We helped write each others' story, even if our roles aren't as big anymore. One day I hope to be able to let go of some of the guilt I always feel when I think about how some of us have grown apart. Either that, or I'll do something about it and pick up the phone. Part of me knows that things change, no matter how hard you try to keep them the same.

I'm just grateful that the important ones don't need apologies or excuses, and we can just pick up where we left off... after some harassment, of course.

1 comment:

All ~N~ The Family said...

Wow.... I just happenned upon your blog today and saw this. I love you more than words can express and you are the most wonderful friend that I have!